Funding Your Education

Current UW Tuition Rates

Find UW quarterly tuition rates with the UW interactive tuition tool by selecting the appropriate academic year, quarter, campus, and residency.

Note: Be sure to select the correct category for your program:

Program: Choice from the category field: Quick links -
Autumn 2016-17:
Bachelor's Undergraduate
Master's Master of Materials Science & Engineering
Ph.D. Grad Tier III


For an overview of annual tuition rates, see UW Tuition and Fees - Annual Academic Year. Washington residents, see page 1; non-residents, see page 3.

International Student Tuition and Fees

Tuition for international students is the same as the non-resident rate.

International students who wish to study in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 student visa need to provide proof of adequate financial support for one year. If you are offered admission and you decide to enroll, you will be required to submit a bank statement or letter showing proof of finances to cover the first year of tuition, living expenses, and other campus fees. Detailed instructions will be sent with the offer of admission. If the offer of admission includes funding support from the MSE department, the requirement for proof of financial support can be waived.

See the UW Office of Admissions' Money Matters and Annual Student Budget for International Students for more information on international student fees.

Financial Aid

The UW Office of Student Financial Aid provides resources to students for various types of aid such as scholarships, grants, loans and veteran benefits. To be eligible for federal financial aid, students must complete the federal student aid FAFSA application. Be sure the UW receives your FAFSA by the February 28 on-time application deadline by submitting your FAFSA to by mid-February. Late applications for aid are accepted, but the options for available aid are fewer.

Federal financial aid is open to U.S. students only.

For Undergraduate Students

Many scholarship opportunities are available through the College of Engineering (CoE) and the MSE department through the annual application process. The current application period is April 1 to May 1. Check CoE Undergraduate Scholarships for details on when scholarship applications are being accepted and to find the status of your application.

We highly recommended that you have a completed FAFSA on file with the UW. Not all scholarships use the FAFSA need-based score, but many do.

The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) helps low- and middle-income Washington state residents earn their bachelor’s degrees in the high-demand fields of science, technology, engineering, math and health care. See the WSOS website for more information.

For Graduate Students

Most Ph.D. students receive RA or TA position offers for their first year of the program (at least). It is wise, however, to keep informed of other funding sources since faculty and department funding is limited and can change from year to year.

Applied Master's and B.S./M.S. students need to arrange their own source of funding. B.S./M.S. students may find TA positions outside of the MSE department, but most of these positions are reserved for Ph.D. students.

Additional Funding Resources

Some graduate students have made use of these additional funding resources.

On Campus

Foundations and Companies

More Resources

Financial aid and scholarship clearing houses like Fastweb are also good sources.