Our students are well-recognized academically. Two recent graduates were awarded College of Engineering Dean’s medals, the highest honor the college can bestow on an undergraduate student. Many of our graduates are admitted into top-caliber graduate schools – such as MIT, Berkeley, UCSB, University of Illinois, and Northwestern – and launch their careers in companies that lead the world in research and development, such as Boeing, Intel and Micron.
For Early Admission and Upper Admission: July 1st, 2017 for Autumn Quarter.
Features of the Undergraduate Program
UW MSE students develop new materials, process methods, equipment, and material uses. Subjects include biomimetics and biomaterials; ceramic properties; composite materials; electronic, optical and magnetic materials; materials characterization, chemistry, modelling; metals & alloys; and polymers.
We offer an ABET-accrediated Bachelor of Science (BS MSE) program that graduates the highest number of students per faculty member among peer departments nationwide.
Unique aspects of our program include:
- A degree Option in Nanoscience and Molecular Engineering
- Active student professional organizations
- Diverse student body
- Small class size
- Hands-on, team-based learning
- Undergraduate research projects
- A combined BS-MS program for well-qualified undergraduate students
Admission to the Department
- Transfer applicants apply first to the UW and then to the Engineering department(s) they want when applications are open. See Engineering Admissions for more information.
- Applicants who are current UW students apply straight to the Engineering department they want when applications are open. See Engineering Admissions for UW students for more information.
We welcome applications from all students who meet minimum requirements. Meeting minimum requirements, however, does not guarantee an offer of admission.
See MSE Undergraduate Admissions Options for details on admission options — direct freshman, early (sophomore status), transfer, or upper (usually junior status).
MSE's Bachelor of Science degree program is accredited by the ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission. Also see MSE's Program Educational Objectives and Student Learning Outcomes.