Kannan M. Krishnan
Professor, Materials Science & Engineering
Adjunct Professor of Physics
Associate Faculty Member, South Asia Center, Jackson School of International Studies
323 Roberts Hall
Ph.D., Materials Science & Engineering (Physics & Mathematics - Minors) UC, Berkeley, 1984
M.S., Materials Science, State University of New York, Stony Brook, 1980
B. Tech., Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kanpur, India, 1978
Biographical & Research Summary
Before joining the University of Washington in 2001 as the Campbell Chair Professor of Materials Science and Adjunct Professor of Physics, Kannan M. Krishnan held various scientific and teaching positions at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and UC, Berkeley. He has held visiting appointments in all six continents including the Hitachi Central Research Laboratory (Japan), Tohoku University, Danish Technical University, University of Sao Paolo, University of Western Australia, University of Alexandria (Egypt), and the Indian Institute of Science.
Prof. Krishnan’s current research focus is broadly on two major, inter-related themes:
- Bioengineering at the intersection of Magnetism, Materials and Medicine focusing on diagnostics, imaging and therapy, with appropriate translational research and commercialization activities.
- Materials Science & Engineering and Condensed Matter Physics with emphasis on nanoscale magnetic and transport (both charge and spin) phenomena in reduced dimensions, including their inter-coupling and structure-property correlations at relevant length scales, to develop new paradigms for materials and devices in the context of information (storage, processing and logic) and energy technologies.
Professional Recognition and Honors
Prof. Krishnan is widely recognized for research, teaching, mentoring and entrepreneurship.
- Elected Member, Washington State Academy of Science, 2015
- TMS/FMD Distinguished Scientist/Engineer Award, 2015
- IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize, 2012
- Fulbright Specialist Award, 2010
- IEEE Magnetics Society Distinguished Lecturer Award, 2009
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 2004
- Rockefeller Bellagio Fellowship, 2008
- JSPS Senior Scientist Fellowship, 2002
- Burton Medal (Microscopy Society of America), 1992
- UW College of Engineering Outstanding Educator Award, 2004
- Professor-at-large, University of Western Australia, 2006-8
- Exceptional Teaching Award, UCB Materials Research Society, 1996
Elected fellow of:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Physical Society
- Institute of Physics (London)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Prof. Krishnan has served on the editorial boards of :
- Journal of Materials Science
- Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials
- Acta Materialia
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
- IEEE Magnetics Letters
- Medical Physics
Kannan M. Krishnan, Fundamentals and Applications of Magnetic Materials, Oxford University Press (to be published Summer 2016).
Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami and Kannan M. Krishnan, "Detection of cancer specific proteases using magnetic relaxation of peptide-conjugated nanoparticles in biological environment", Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., (in press).
Y. Bao, T. Wen, A.C. Samia, A.P. Khandhar, and Kannan M. Krishnan, “Magnetic Nanoparticles: Materials Engineering and Emerging Applications in Lithography and Biomedicine”, Jour Mater. Sci., 51, 513-553 (2016).
Hamed Arami, Amit Khandhar, Denny Liggitt and Kannan M. Krishnan, “In vivo delivery, pharmacokinetics, biodistribution, and toxicity of iron oxide nanoparticles”, Chem. Soc. Rev. DOI:10.1039/c5cs00541h (2015).
Asahi Tomitaka-Kami, Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami and Kannan M. Krishnan, “Lactoferrin conjugated iron oxide nanoparticles for targeting brain glioma cells in magnetic particle imaging”, Nanoscale, 7, 16890-16898 (2015).
Zheng Li, Wei Zhang+ and Kannan M. Krishnan, “Large-area patterning of sub-100 nm L10 FePt dots array”, AIP Advances. 5, 087165 (2015).
R.M. Ferguson, A.P. Khandhar, H. Arami, E.U. Saritas, L.R. Croft, P.W. Goodwill, A. Halkola, J. Rahmer, J. Borgert, S.M. Conolly and Kannan M. Krishnan, "Magnetic Particle Imaging with Safe, Tailored Iron Oxide Nanoparticle Tracers". IEEE Trans. Med. Imag. 34, 1077 (2015).
Byung-Seok Kwon, Wei Zhang and Kannan M. Krishnan, "Direct release of Bio-compatible Sombrero-shaped Magnetite Nanoparticles via Nanoimprint Lithography", Advanced Materials – Interfaces, 2, 1400511 (2015).
Michael Gould, Russell Barbour, Nicole Thomas, Hamed Arami, Kannan M. Krishnan, Kai-Mei Fu, "Room-temperature detection of single 20 nm super-paramagnetic nanoparticles with an imaging magnetometer", Applied Phys. Lett. 105, 072406 (2014).
Wei Zhang and Kannan M. Krishnan, "Epitaxial patterning of thin films: conventional lithographies and beyond", Jour. Micromech. & Microeng., 24, 093001 (2014).